Monday 1 August 2011

Group hug

I made it 2.5 weeks without getting sick! I consider that an achievement. Was hit with a cold and gastro on Thursday - such a pleasant combination. The gastro is gone but the cold is lingering.
~
In happier news, an Australian missionary visited the orphanage on Thursday. It was such a pick-me-up to be speaking real English again! I don't quite remember the details, but shes from Croydon and shes been living here in Trujillo with her family for about 3 or 4 years. I'll definitely be keeping in touch with her.
~
Found out this week which children are currently in the process of being adopted. I'm really pleased that they'll have all the opportunities that come with an overseas adoption but at the same time I'm already feeling  upset. That's just my selfishness talking though. 
~
Its been a crazy fun week with the Tim Brooks group. They left yesterday afternoon for Lima. I knew they'd achieve a lot but the end result still blows my mind. Kinder room cleaned a reorganised, orchard weeded and fertilized, security cameras put up, wireless access in the school, parental controls in the library, an excursion for everyone at the orphanage, health education classes, lice treatments and vacation bible school each afternoon. This is all as well as all the gifts they got the kids and volunteers - the new desktop in particular was a huge blessing to the volunteers!

Museo Cao

Isabel dressed as a Bruja (witch)

Feeding the masses at Rokys

The group always had energy spare to play with the kids

Day trip to Huanchaco

The group! (most of them anyway)

Lice treatment night

Happy little lice-free girls

Farewell assembly for the group with the kids

Final farewells
Big Thankyou to the Tim Brooks group for all the time, effort and energy they spent on the orphanage! Very much appreciated.

2 comments:

  1. Awww .. you got sick! 2.5 weeks is an achievement though! I remember I was spewing out of my nose the last time I went to indo .. and that was only in the first week =_= Was the stuff i gave you useful? Do you want me to send you more?

    Do you know if many Aussie volunteers/missionaries visit your orphanage? I'd totally go if there was a group going!

    Wow! Your orphanage looks like its in the middle of the desert or something! Are those sand dunes in the background? .. or dirt/rock mountains?

    Is that a bucket of mayo? Lice treatment night never looked so fun! did you have to pick out the eggs as well? Apparently lice like clean hair.. so the dirtier your kids are.. the less likely they'll get lice lol

    I don’t know how many times I’ve tried to post a comment .. and it hasn’t worked .. so hopefully 7th time lucky! Haha I even followed you on my account… how did I do that? *scratches head

    The weather looks so nice and even though you aren't in any of your pictures .. it seems like you're having fun! haha wish i was there! miss you pug! xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol gross nat! Yeh that stuff helped but the pharmacies here are good so no need to send more, cheers.
    I don't know of any Australian groups that visit, only American.
    We are in the desert, but the ocean isn't too far away (about 2km?). In the background there are sand dunes and further back is a rocky mountain.
    Just got internet back, its been down for 3days, so relieved!

    ReplyDelete