Monday 11 July 2011

the eagle has landed

safe and sound in my little room in Hogar de Esperanza, Trujillo, Peru.
Phew! Craziness! Where to start...
~
ok, its 11:33pm Sunday - which reminds me, I need to fix that clock so it shows Trujillo time. Sitting in bed with a towel wrapped around my head - fresh from a cold shower. It was cold because, even though I did turn on the water heater and gave it time to warm up, I failed to check that it was plugged in *sigh. Cold is refreshing though. I was very efficiently picked up from the airport at about 10pm I think (?) by Ashley, Bryson and Kelly. Bob was also on my flight. So in total, the 5 of us, crammed into the 3 seat cab of a pick up truck - the van they usually pick up volunteers in, was at the mechanics and no one had noticed till they came to pick us up hahaha. It was definitely a bonding experience. Someone did take a photo, I'll post it - as soon as my luggage appears with all my cables.
We were pulled over by a policeman before we were able to leave the airport carpark. Not because we were piled on top of each other, but because the driver, Bryson, hadn't brought his license. Which was fine, Bob became the driver. We repacked the clown car and drove for about 20mins to the orphanage. Luckily I was on the top of the stack, which meant I didn't get crushed by body weight - rather, by lack of head room. Half the journey was spent curled up, almost kissing my knees and the other half with my head and arm out the window.
I preferred the second option, now I know why dogs do that.
~
Tomorrow is my recover from jet lag day. And locate my luggage and wash my jeans and t shirt. I'll also drop by kinder, to meet my new students =D I'll take heaps of photos and post them as soon as I can.
~
I think I might just be an optimist after all.
Buenas noches!

4 comments:

  1. Hooray! Glad you made it there safely, I have now stopped crying =) Good work troubleshooting the water heater, am eagerly awaiting your photos...

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Mum said she's proud of you grr

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woot! You're there in one piece! Sounds like you had an awesome ride! It's all part of the experience ^_^ Skype when you can pug! i wanna see where you're living

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great start. Looking forward to hearing all your adventures. - Michael

    ReplyDelete